Tuesday 26 February 2008

Design Design Design

General
Knowing the deadlines are just around the corner I am starting to feel really confident about the work I have been producing over the last few months. I feel I am still on target to get things completed on time and to a suitable standard.

A5
This week has given me a lot to think about with regards to my designs. I have some experimenting to do with my website to take it to yet another level. When I have changed the website, as always I will make another post letting you all know.

A6
Again the timed task, I feel they are getting easier. I don't think this is really happening. It must be the fact I am getting used to them and learning from my mistakes. Again I think there should be more tasks like this all year round. Personally I think it is the best way to learn and get better. Practice makes perfect!

During today's timed task I became quite ‘kerfuffled’ when it came to typing the content in. I did not realise how much text there was to time. I thought I wasn’t going to make it for the deadline. But I did.

Getting it done in the DTP early is very useful as I have been able to receive more useful advice from Steve. I think it is great having someone to teach us who cares, I have been on courses where its like clockwork, you go in do your work and the minimum is ok. It is so good for the tutors to want their students to produce something more than ok. The advise is so good and makes a massive impact on the design.

OK…. This had to come. Next week is going to be stressful but also I am really excited. I have a small idea of what to expect, but not exactly. I think the unknown adds to the enjoyment. Everyone knows if you enjoy something you are more likely to succeed!

Mini Major
I don’t quite know what to expect from the mini major project. But I’m looking forward to it. I think this is going to be a really interesting assignment to really get my teeth into. Go mad with my creativity. I once did a piece of art based on music it turned out to be a really good piece. I’m not sure about the unknown music part though. I don’t quite know what to expect at all. But I think I feel colour coming in massive quantities, god who knows I may even get my paint out again.

6 comments:

Shaun Bellis said...

Hi Gary

I think that it is perhaps not quite right to say that the timed tasks are getting easier; I believe that the mystique that originally surrounded them has since been lifted.

Ordinarily, I say that perfect practice makes perfect; however, I think that we regards design, it is important to make the mistakes and to make them early on so that you can learn from them and progress.

Referring to the comment you made about the feedback and advice from Steve (and lets not forget John), you couldn't be more right! We have an obvious advantage to most other students participating in this course in other establishments, we are not walking statistics!

Steve and John are always more than willing to help those who seek it. Their experience prevails whilst reviewing our work; we are lucky.

Regrettably, it is something that many of us neglect to take full advantage of often enough.

I do not think that the mini major project is all that much of a secret; you only have to look at last years journals for this period to get a taster for what we are in for.

--
Thanks

Shaun Bellis

Tom Smith said...

Shaun, I'm not sure I agree with the idea that 'Perfect practice makes perfect'. Surely perfect practice would mean you're already perfect at the thing you're practising; hence making practice well and truly irrelevant? I think the standard 'practice makes perfect' is the better phrase.

Gary, I totally agree with your sentiments about the tutoring on the course... and I'm not just brown-nosing Steve! I think the level of commitment to us as students is unparalleled in any other academic context. As a result, the educational value we get from the course is multiplied many times. Awesome.

I'm really looking forward to the mini major. If it involves exactly the same things as last year, I'm particularly looking forward to the branding side of things. Not just the logo designing, but getting a consistent theme throughout the work- something I believe is massively important in marketing.

Shaun Bellis said...

What have I started here ...

I think that you have miss-understood what I was saying. The phase perfect practice makes perfect refers to the process rather than the action.

In other words the practice is only useful if done correctly (i.e. practicing something wrongly will not result in the sought after perfection).

I hope that adds clarification.

Victoria Fisher said...

Like you I know I am going to be stressed next week, but the feeling you get when it’s all handed is worth be stressed about. We don’t really know what to expect next week, I am a bit nervous about it but I am looking forward to it at the same time.

Michelle Bonfield said...

I'm interested to hear what I missed regarding the mini major project. It sounds very exciting, using music to inspire creativity has definite appeal. Can you tell me more?

Suzanne Hullah said...

Using music to inspire our creativity will be a new concept, I think this will bring out the creative juices in some of us and produce some really good work. Something which I'm looking forward to trying, even if Steve says we won't like the music.