Tuesday 15 April 2008

Midway mayhem

I don’t quite know what to put on here today. It has been quite a painful week. I have not been very well, so have not really been as focused as well as I should have been.

I must say I would be happy if I never saw a logo again in my life. The experience of designing the Emit logo was very stressful. It took a lot of refining to come up with something which was suitable. Before the development stage the roughs were also quite hard to do, having no experience of designing logos and for a company I knew little about.

I think I am getting there though, I was not happy in the slightest, but the more I changed it the more stressed I got. But now It is slightly growing on me.  I can sort of see what everyone was saying in the feedback now. I was trying my hardest to block it out though over the last week as I was so fixated on a single design. It is like tunnel vision, you cannot think about anything else.

If anyone has seen a recent version of my slightly older version I really enjoyed the i and the dot. I am looking forward to using it again in some other project. It cannot be seen to go to waste.

towards the latter part of last week I started looking at corporate style guides and have continued this week. I must say it is a nicer task than logos. I think I am actually starting to like it.

I must say I am not looking forward to the artwork, I don't know why, I don't think I am ready for anything elaborate quite yet so it may just be something based on geometric shapes.

Following a class conversation today, I feel a great sense of achievement in doing this course and trying my god damn best. I have not missed a single day. There are a lot of people who would not have put faith in me and would not have believed it in a million years, to those people I would just like to say Thank You. I feel there is more direction in my life and I have certainly changed as a person. God forbid it I think Steve is actually cracking me when he says we are designers not artists as designers have more direction and are aimed at a commercial market. But I still think everything comes under artist, Designers, Fine artists photographers, who is to say a chef is not an artist.

6 comments:

Greg Carrick said...

I know exactly how you feel about logos; I never knew how hard it would be to design one. Even though I’ve had loads of ideas for one, none of them have been suitable. It’s actually been quite stressful because I though some of them might have worked.

I have to say you are defiantly suited to the course and I’m glad you’re getting a great sense of achievement from it. You’re producing some really good work!

I like your end comment “who is to say a chef is not an artist”, never thought about it that way.

Tom Smith said...

I have to say I think some chef's are artists! But maybe that's just because I like food so much!

I felt similar feelings to you in the final stages on development of the logo. It just felt as though it was never going to be complete. It's such a good feeling when you get it nailed though.

I'm glad you're feeling the way you are about the course Gary. It's good to see you proving your doubters wrong.

John Browne said...

Unlike you, I am loving the logo design task. Ive completed it now like and I'm having fun with the CD cover.

A little tip which I stuck by when design the first sketches of the log design. Keep it as simple as possible.

Michelle Bonfield said...

I'm glad you're feeling fulfilled and a real sense of achievement. It really surprised me when I heard how 'naughty' you had been last year because you are so disciplined and conscientious now.

I think we all go through phases of slacking off, I know I did. I guess you need it to realise what is actually important to you and to find your direction.

Now you have an edge that will put you ahead of the competition, a real passion and belief in what you do. To believe in yourself when all others doubt you makes anything achievable. I'm certain you'll go far Gary.

Mark Torrington said...

As a designer people always need you to solve problems, from how they market products or promoting their services. It is sometimes easy for designers to give up and put barriers up, I personally find that if a designer has this attitude they are only failing themselves.

Keep focused on finding the solutions to problems, and there will be no design problem you can’t fix.

Shaun Bellis said...

Hi Gary

The developmental stage of creating the 'Emit' logo has proven to be challenging to say the least for many of us. However, people always say that 'the first is the worst' and so by that reasoning, the next time we have a logo to do in this manner, the process should be come a little less painful; and more so the time after and so on.

I also liked the idea you had with the 'dot' (if we are talking about the same thing) and I am sure that you will make good use of it in the future.

You certainly are a valuable asset to the class and seminar groups. I think where you said you try your "... dam best" you hit the nail on the head.

Well done and keep up the great work!

--
Shaun Bellis